This division has extensive experience in all aspects of intellectual property (IP) and information technology (IT) rights protection. This includes contentious and non-contentious matters in the areas of trademarks, copyrights, patents, industrial designs, utility model, domain names and other areas of IP and IT.
It has successfully assisted clients ranging from local public listed companies to foreign multi-national corporations in obtaining criminal and civil sanction to combat infringement, counterfeiting and piracy. Its international connection through Advoc Asia has enabled the division to have an effective global IP and IT practice. This division consists of qualified trademark, patent and industrial design agents that are active in international and local organisations involved in the protection of IP and IT.
The services provided by this division include the following:
- Providing advice on IP and IT protection and enforcement issues;
- Prosecution of patent, trademark, and copyright applications;
- Handling of opposition, expungement or cancellation proceedings;
- Recording of assignments;
- Prosecution of infringement suits in courts including obtaining injunctions, summary judgements and obtaining trade description orders from court;
- Enforcement of IP rights including filing complaints on infringing activities with the government authorities and participating in raids conducted by them;
- All aspects of the acquisition and exploitation of IP and IT rights including negotiating and drafting licensing agreements, franchise agreements, technology transfer agreements, IT consultancy agreements, software management and maintenance agreements and end user agreements;
- Conducting IP due diligence audits for mergers and acquisitions.